What's your philosophy/approach for working with international students? (At this point you can just do a brainstorm, especially if you've never worked with international students.)
My approach to working with international students begins with understanding their culture rather than thinking about it from my cultural stand point of view. I am aware of academic standard, therefore, my job as an instructor is to inform the student of expectations but also to help the student navigate and transfer their linguistic knowledge into English.
I had experiences where teachers were completely unaware of my culture which required me to speak up less and write less directly. This caused confusion and made me want to quit writing many times. Another huge discouragement came from the types of teachers who picked at grammar and idioms but nothing else.
Although now I understand that many teachers have hard time balancing these views, I believe that international students should definitely be given an extra attention and understanding in how their writing functions in American academic setting.
No comments:
Post a Comment