Your
Philosophy/Approach for working with oral features in writing
Cover
Memo: I would like some feedback on how I should elaborate on my answers.
Should I add more examples or should I bring in any scholarly arguments?
Overall, does the organization of my answer make sense?
My
philosophy for working with oral features in student writing is to approach it
in a culturally sensitive and supportive way. When working with students with
oral features, I believe it is important to approach it with open mind and
willingness to communicate to them about their situations. Oral features can occur
in both native and non native students’ writings. Speech often bleeds into
writing because many students hear the sound, but does not know how to write
them down properly.
My key strategies in
dealing with this situation are communication and assessment. When working with
students who are struggling with speech interference issue in their writings, I
often try to determine whether the student aware or unaware of the difference
between speech and written English. Sometimes, the student may be writing the
words down as they hear the sound but may not know the correct way to spell it.
Since English vocabularies often have a lot of silent sounds and spellings that
may not look the same on paper, a lot of non native speakers find this
extremely difficult to deal with. Students who emigrate from another country
that may have different phonetic systems or generation 1.5 students who acquire
English orally may have this problem as well as those native speakers who rely
on technology to communicate daily.
After I assess whether
the student is aware of the differences in written language and speech, I
proceed to show them how it is correctly spelled. I believe the best way to
have students memorize vocabulary is to write it in a sentence. If the problem
is something that involves grammar rule such as plurals or possessive pronouns,
I go over them on the board and have the student use it in a sentence in a
correct way to see the difference. I also scan their papers to see if there are
any parts they did it correctly so that they can visually compare these two
answers from their own works.
Your
Philosophy for working with dialect features in student writing
Cover
Memo: I would like some feedback on whether I answered the question right.
Should I Be more elaborate and back my argument up with specific examples from
the articles we’ve read so far?
My
philosophy in working with students with dialect features in their writing is
again, communication. Without proper knowledge of what their background is, it
would be difficult to assess how to help them or encourage them. My first and
foremost strategy is communication in this case. For example, if a student
comes from a certain ethnic background, they may have trouble using correct
idioms. When student uses words such as “delivered” in place of “saved,” then
this may be due to his or her own cultural background with different usage of
words. However, writing in different
dialect can interfere with student’s success because not everybody can
understand that dialect outside the group.
In
order to avoid such shock, I usually have a conference with a student to see
what his or her cultural background is and explain to the student that although
their dialect is important and unique to bring into the academic voice, it is
better to acquire Standard English for the academic papers and dialect for
fiction writing or poetry writing. This alone can save me such trouble when
working with dialect features in students’ writing because I can take what they
have written and explain to them that this is not how Standard English uses
that particular word.
Closing
the gap between each regional personality and Standard American English is
difficult. One group would like to preserve his or her voice but Standard
American English imposes their language onto already linguistically
marginalized groups in America. One of my key strategies is to visually show
the difference on the board and read it out loud to let the students hear the
difference. I also allow my students to be exposed to many different types of
narratives ranging from poetry, short stories to academic articles. I use this
opportunity to explain to them that it is not that dialects are bad to keep but
to expand one’s linguistic horizon; one must learn different dialects and
voices before turning to Standard American English to write them out for the
public audience.
Heejung,
ReplyDeleteI found both of you philosophies very interesting. I sympathize with the situations you discuss. I feel like it may be beneficial to use a present problem, discuss student needs, and how you would deal with the needs/problem type of approach. Also, I think your papers can benefit from some thinking about these issues from a global perspective. Great job.
Hey Heejung! I sent an email following up about our discussions on our papers. I sent it to the email posted on the ilearn blog chart. I don't know if people use their SFSU emails, so I thought I should post this.
ReplyDelete