My approach to help students develop their ideas in writing is by combining visual methods and constant dialogue. I often utilize my whiteboard to organize thoughts and information as well as visualize the connections. My experience with visual methods has been very positive. My students have responded with enthusiasm when I utilized the board work because this helped them see their ideas rather than just think about it. While I do this, I often incorporate dialogues during the session to figure out what the student is thinking about. The student may be seeing a new connection or understand his/her perspective in a different light by organizing thoughts. I try to converse through this process but I also let my students get their thoughts out by letting them speak. My job here is to guide through this process not talk over them. Students often analyze their ideas better after this. Their writing also becomes analytical when they begin to answer my questions that I have as a reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment